You are warmly welcome to visit the layout in the Salem Chapel Room, Bell Bank in Hay on Saturday between 10.30 am and 12.30 pm and 2.30 pm and 4.30 pm.
A tiny bit of history to start ……
Rails first came to Hay in the form of a Tramway using horsepower.
By 1864 the standard gauge railway had replaced the narrow gauge tramway. It was owned by a company called the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway which accurately identifies the major settlements it served. The Midland Railway company soon took over running the line and took on ownership.
The line passed into the hands the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1923, British Rail, Midland Region (BR(M)) in 1948 and finally British Rail, Western Region (BR(W)) for the final years.
The branch was closed at the end of 1964 except for a goods only service from Hereford to Eardisley which did not survive for long.
The Model Railway
Eric Pugh made the original model during the late 1970s and early 1980s for his own use. Later when he needed the space for other things, Eric handed over the layout to a group who extended it. The 00 gauge layout was extended to some 30 feet in length.
It was on exhibition in Hay for a few years but soon it had to be taken into storage.
Time passed and memories faded. However in 2012 the layout was "rediscovered" in a container. It was recovered and three sections were put up in temporary accommodation.
More recently a more convenient place was found in which major refurbishment and rebuilding has been able to take place. This has been carried out by a very small team which does include one of the original constructors.
The team have been supported by many others in a whole variety of ways, not least for giving us their memories of the line when it was in operation. Schoolgirls and boys of the 1950s and 1960s are an especially good resource.
e-mail: email@example.com phone: 01497 821348