A pick of some of the finds from the Glanusk Estate Records:
A diagram of the Masons Arms (now Spar) from 1891, showing the brew house at the rear. Next door was the butchers (now Adyman’s Books) with the slaughterhouse at the rear.
A map showing the site of the Cider Mill, orchard and garden, plus Malthouse and lawn tennis grounds, with the railway marked behind, on the area now known as Carlesgate.
The building called the Market Hall, was the Butter Market. The pedestrian street running down from Market Street to High Town was called Market Way.
Hay Gas Works and Midland Railway map 1902.
Castle Orchard, which was part of the George Estate (now George House) in 1902.
George Inn, 1872, which was demolished, but had stood on Memorial Square running forwards from what we know as the wall of Chattles, out in front of the Cheese Market.
1833 Conveyance of the Manor of English Hay from the Earl of Oxford (hence Oxford Road) to Joseph Bailey.
1841 Conveyance of Hay Castle from Howe Gwynne and Henry Wellington to Joseph Bailey. So it wasn’t until 1841 that the Castle and the Manor of Hay were reunited.
The 1819 Leathermill Lane Indenture shows that Heol-y-Dwr was called Leathermill Lane at that time and the leathermill was located at the Newport Street end.
1950 map showing the possible site of an Isolation Hospital near Gypsy Castle Lane (smallpox).
Alan then presented his LiDAR Research:
LiDAR is a form of aerial mapping using light technology that accounts for 2m data (OS map contours are on a 25m basis). Alan has taught himself how to use LiDAR on a computer and has spent a long time going over maps of Hay. He has written an article entitled How to Produce a LiDAR Map in the latest edition of Hanes – see HANES